Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Resume on Monster, Hot Jobs? BEWARE!

Have you posted your resume on job boards like Monster, HotJobs, or CareerBuilder?

BEWARE. There are unscrupulous headhunters out there who will pluck your resume right off the web and shop you to potential employers without your consent.

Before you say to youself, "Hey, the more places my resume goes, the better -- I don't care how it gets there," consider this: job recruiters may be crushing your reputation and destroying your hireability, and you might not even know it.

For starters, recruiters could be representing you in ways that would make you cringe.

Some recruiters are downright obnoxious -- loud, brash, overly aggressive. Some have the vocabulary of third graders and the grace of hungry warthogs. And their behavior does reflect upon you. A potential employer doesn't know you didn't personally select this person to represent you. If they suspect you did, what does that say about your judgment?

A recruiter's less-than-professional approach might turn off your potential employer and cause them to toss your resume or move it to the bottom of the pile. With possibly hundreds of resumes to consider, do you really want to give them any excuse to discount yours?

The HR director at your would-be workplace could be so irritated by a recruiter's approach, she might discard your resume just so she won't have to pay a commission to that buffoon headhunter who rubbed her the wrong way.

Unfortunately for the upstanding ones, recruiters are notorious for lying. They have no qualms about lying about your background, and many will shamelessly assign you "stories" to tell in your job interview. Play-by-play. Some of them are really quite creative.

I recently met with a recruiter who felt that some short-term gaps in my employment history were working against me. Even though the real reasons behind those gaps were nothing scandalous, the recruiter insisted on hiding them behind made-from-scratch scenarios. She wove a pair of fairy tales, which I was meant to memorize and repeat to my (maybe) future boss. In one, there was a failed attempt at buying the house of my dreams and a flurry of wedding plans with a non-existent ex. The other was an outrageous fib about a whirlwind trip around the world won in a sweepstakes, which, God forbid anyone should ask me "And how did you like Prague?", I'd never be able to fake my way through convincingly.

Silly me. I thought my boss dying of a brain tumor was a pretty good excuse for being jobless. I nodded, tight-lipped, through my "instructions", and then went into the interview and told the truth. If I was going to work with these people someday, what was I doing to do, spend the years covering up the lies I told in my interview? No thanks.

Recruiters won't think twice about tweaking your resume, either. They'll change job descriptions, dates of employment, etc. Anything to give you a perceived "edge", thereby increasing their chances of getting you hired and getting themselves paid.

And don't trust a recruiter to have good judgment, or to even be reasonably intelligent when making "adjustments" to your resume.

For instance, many headhunters don't understand the nuts and bolts of the jobs they're filling, and they're strangers to the terminology.

I work in an area of law called "patent prosecution", which falls under the heading of "intellectual property". One recruiter from Access Staffing called me and said, "I have the perfect job for you. It's patent and prosecution. And I think it has...wait, let me check...yes! It also includes just a little bit of intellectual property."

I admit it. I laughed right into the phone. Just a little intellectual property? That's like saying, "Doctor, I have an ideal opportunity for you. It's general, and it's medicine. With just a dash of healthcare."

This could mean that your unofficial reps-in-the-field are changing vocabulary on your resume incorrectly, making you look like you don't know your own field.

This happened to me, in front of my eyes, at a headhunter's desk at Gainor Staffing. She started marking up my resume, making inaccurate changes to patent-centric terminology. She even reversed some of my correct punctuation so it was incorrect!

These self-appointed agents could also be doing your reputation a giant injustice by flooding the job market with your resume. I became a victim of this recently. I didn't find out until a forthright recruiter (whom I willingly engaged) started calling his contacts at local law firms and told me, "Your resume is all over town!" He started naming firms I'd never even heard of who'd already received not one, but multiple copies of my resume.

I didn't give anyone permission to approach these firms on my behalf, to speak on my behalf, to pass on my name, address, phone number and employment history to other people. They just did it, casting around for a bite, exploiting my personal information with the hope of some future monetary gain.

I suddenly thought of a woman who called me one day -- an overbearing type, with a voice like an air raid siren. I'd never even heard of her before, but she informed me that Law Firm XY&Z loved my resume and wanted to see me for an interview as soon as possible.

"Who are you?" I asked. I wish I could remember her name so I could share it with you. This woman had actually led a big, respectable firm to believe she had a relationship with me -- familiar enough to coordinate an interview on my behalf.

I was livid and I told her so. She was desperate to make a sale, and was unbearably pushy about getting me to go through with the interview. I refused to make the appointment through her. Later that evening, her "supervisor" had the nerve to call me and, barking at me like a scolding parent, demanded to know why I didn't take the interview. Unbelievable.

I knew these were the kind of people who'd spread my resume indiscriminately "all over town", who were diluting my opportunities for decent employment at the city's more reputable patent firms.

As my favorite recruiter Robert Hadley explained, when a resume is received by an employer from multiple sources, it can, in a sense, curse the applicant. The employer doesn't know you didn't ask every recruiter in town to find you a job, and quick! But that's what it can look like when an employer is bombarded with your resume.

And what if different recruiters are altering your resume? How does it look to the employer to get several different versions of your career path, with suspicious changes in key information?

And what if these recruiters are lying about having met you? It makes it seem like you've made the rounds to every employment agency in town and boy, you must be desperate! Which naturally leads the employer to wonder -- what's wrong with this applicant that no one is hiring her? It's just too easy to drop a resume into the trash can. The smallest inkling of doubt can count you out.

So what can you do to protect yourself?

Web sites like Monster and Hot Jobs are still a great place for employers and recruiters with integrity to find you. Each individual has to weigh the pros and cons of uploading his or her resume on these sites. But here's something I did that I encourage you to try, because it may start a trend that unscrupulous recruiters will have to acknowledge and work around. Who knows, it may even lead to some much-needed legislation. At the top of my online resume, I have a statement which reads:

"NOTICE: Recruiters are welcome to respond to (Your Name), whose name appears at the top of this resume. However, by printing out this resume, downloading or saving this resume, or forwarding this resume via e-mail or other means, you agree that you will not present yourself as a representative of (Your Name) by any means, either verbally or otherwise, express or implied, to any employer or employer's representative, without the express advance written consent of (Your Name). Furthermore, by printing out this resume, downloading or saving this resume, or forwarding this resume via e-mail or other means, you agree that if you present yourself to any employer or employer's representative as a representative of (Your Name) or (Your Name's) resume, bearing or not bearing (Your Name's) name without the express advance written consent of (Your Name), you agree not to accept any monetary compensation for the successful placement of (Your Name) in any position of employment for which you submit the resume of (Your Name)."
OK, so maybe it wouldn't hold up in court, but it could serve as a deterrent.

You can also make it crystal clear to any recruiter who calls or e-mails you that they do not have your permission to represent you or your resume to employers. You can tell them you will consider giving them written permission in an e-mail to represent you for specific positions only. This is important. In this way, you can keep track of who's legitimately sending out your resume and where. Heads-up, though: most recruiters will do anything to avoid giving you the name of the company they want to sell you to. They're afraid if they tell you it's Law Firm ABC, you will apply to the Law Firm ABC directly, cutting them out of the deal. Be insistent. Refuse to give them carte blanche to send your resume anywhere they want. Dole out your permission on a job-by-job basis, and if they refuse to name companies, politely tell them you prefer to work with another recruiter. Headhunting is a highly competitive field. Recruiters know they have plenty of competition. They'll either cooperate with you or they won't – but if they don't, the loss is entirely theirs. Trust me – you will eventually hit on a recruiter who will name names. They're out there, I've worked with them.

When you do find one or two recruiters who name names and give you honest representation, reward their integrity by letting them earn their commission. Don't do what I described earlier: circumventing their efforts by applying to the firm yourself. That's almost as scummy as being a recruiter who steals resumes off the internet.

-- Kim Brittingham