Monday, February 16, 2009

Beauty Secrets from the Secretarial Pool

Photobucket

A Just A Sec Exclusive!

These are serious times. But too much seriousness is just...well, too much seriousness. Our worries will still be there tomorrow, so let's give ourselves a break by turning our attention to something completely frivolous: our looks.

The winter can wreak havoc on our hair and skin, among other things. By the time February rolls around, many of us could use a little beauty TLC. And as much as we at Just A Sec believe it's what's on the inside that counts, there's no denying that when you look your best, it gives your whole outlook a boost.

Well, we weren't willing to wait for spring -- we wanted the glow of youth and renewal YESTERDAY. So we asked several secretaries to give up their personal beauty secrets. We wanted in on their discoveries -- things that really work and have a significant impact.

Here's the scoop:

Longer Lashes, Without a Prescription
RAPIDLASH EYELASH RENEWAL SERUM

Photobucket

"I would say, the one thing I've used that's made the biggest difference for me is RapidLash," confided Lisa in lower Manhattan. Rapidlash is an eyelash renewal serum that gives the appearance of longer, fuller lashes while nourishing your lashes to make them grow in thicker and healthier.

"Every night I put it on before bedtime, like the instructions recommend," said Lisa. "You use it just like liquid eyeliner. It goes on clear and you can use it on your upper or lower lashes. It doesn't sting, it doesn't irritate my eyes. It just feels like eyeliner, basically, until it dries."

"In about a month, I really did see a noticeable difference in my eyelashes. I have puny little eyelashes to begin with and after using RapidLash, not only were my lashes longer and there were more of them, but for some reason when I wore mascara, I got less clumping. It just seemed like my eyelashes defined themselves better individually. And that part happened for me right away. I didn't have to wait a month for that."

RapidLash claims to work by delivering essential proteins, vitamins, moisturizing and rejuvenating ingredients to replenish and strengthen the structure of lashes, while adding shine and elasticity. They also say it works just as well on eyebrows, although Lisa only uses RapidLash on her lashes.

Rapidlash sells for $49.95. For more information and to purchase, visit www.RapidLash.com.


Work Magic on Droopy Eyelids
REVITALEYES EYELID SERUM

Photobucket

"I don't have any problem with my face, no wrinkles yet and my complexion is usually pretty clear. But God, do I hate my eyelids," Noreen admitted. "My eyes are deep-set. It's a family trait, and we all have heavy eyelids to begin with. I feel like my droopy eyelids make me look old before my time, and it's worse when I'm tired or have a cold."

"I tried RevitalEyes and I was really surprised by how quickly it worked," Noreen told us. "Granted, if you want it to work all day, you do have to reapply it a couple of times. At least that's what I find. But it really will give your eyes an instant pick-up."

RevitalEyes Eyelid Serum by Reviva Labs is a lightweight, silky liquid that you apply to your eyelids. It's designed to improve the tone and appearance of the delicate skin above the eye that's so prone to sagging.

Noreen applies RevitalEyes on her eyelids, all the way to the brows, and gets the best results when she tugs the skin gently upwards with her fingertips, smoothing the serum up from eyelid-to-brow in delicate sweeps. "It seems to lift the eyelid skin and the serum somehow keeps it in place, more lifted. I get an instant more wide-eyed look. I don't know how it works, I just know it makes a difference. I don't feel like my eyes are buried deep inside a lump of eyelid skin anymore!"

Noreen added, "I keep the bottle with me at all times and when I feel like I need a perk, I just rub some more on."

RevitalEyes costs $23.00 a bottle and can be purchased at www.RevivaLabs.com.


THEE Cure for Itchy, Dry Winter Skin. Period.
OLAY IN-SHOWER BODY LOTION

Photobucket

"I can't say enough good things about Olay's In-Shower Body Lotion," said Julie, an administrative assistant near Rockefeller Center. "Every year starting around October, I get itching, burning skin on my legs. If you looked at the skin close-up, it looked like the cracked surface of a desert. Soon after that my arms, boobs and butt start itching like CRAZY. It's like the cold weather just sucks the moisture right out of my body."

Olay In-Shower Body Lotion works differently from regular lotions, because you apply it to your clean, wet skin while you're still in the shower. "It's very easy to use, and it saves a lot of time.," Julie told us. "You don't have to spend several minutes rubbing lotion into every inch of your body. It goes on so smooth in the shower, and spreads over your body in seconds."

"You put it on right before you get out of the shower, as a last step. And it's like it locks the moisture from your shower right into your body. It kind of feels like you've got this protective layer over your body, but not in a gross way. Your skin feels so amazing and smooth, and even when you dry off with a towel, it doesn't rub away the moisture."

"I can still feel the softness of my skin when I get in bed at night. It literally lasts all day. My skin feels amazing slipping between the sheets. And I love the way it smells, very clean, but not overpowering."

"Olay's In-Shower Body Lotion is probably the single most successful product I've ever used in my life. It takes care of your dry skin right away, and I mean completely cures it. I would recommend it to anybody."

Olay In-Shower Body Lotion is sold in the skin care or shower gel sections of most drug stores for about $6, or buy online at www.olay.com.


Put On a Happy Face
SOMME INSTITUTE SKINCARE REGIMEN

Photobucket

"I've never been the kind of person to get suckered into buying all those products in fancy skincare lines like they sell behind the counters in department stores," Leslie told us. "I never thought it was necessary to go through twenty different steps every morning and night to have good skin. But I will tell you, when I started using the Somme Institute stuff, I got so hooked on it, I never use anything else now."

So, does that mean Leslie sucked it up and goes through twenty paces? "No, it's not that many steps," she laughed. "It's actually only five. And they're all worth it!"

What makes Somme Institute products so remarkable is their patent pending MDT5 delivery system, which nourishes the skin on a deep, penetrating level with Vitamins A, B3, B5, C and E. According the Leslie, this system really works.

Somme has worked its groundbreaking technology into a line of skincare products, including the 5-step daily skincare regimen that Leslie follows, which includes a cleanser, "Transport" toner pads, a serum, "A-Bomb" moisturizer, and Double Defense, a protecting sunblock with SPF 30+. Somme also makes specialized applications for the eyes and neck.

"I wouldn't say I ever had problem skin," says Leslie, "but I will say that the Somme products make my skin look consistently really good. I have fewer break-outs before my period, and just on a day-to-day basis, my skin has a nice glow and a clarity to it. I guess it's hard to describe. It just looks healthy, not dull. I also noticed a reduction in freckles on my cheeks and forehead that I started to develop in my late 20s. I'm not kidding, they're lighter now than they've ever been since I started using these (Somme Institute) products."

"I hope they never stop making this line because I will never, ever want to use anything else!" Somme Institute gets high marks from Leslie!

Somme Institute skin products range in price from $40 to $82 individually, but you can land a great deal with their Mobile kit which includes the basic 5-steps products in small travel sizes for $85.00. For more information and how to buy, visit www.SommeInstitute.com.